Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Derby Musings and Mint Julep Gooey Bars

When you live in a town like Louisville, KY, it's hard to not get suckered into celebrating the Derby. I love Louisville because we like to think we're a big city, but we act like a small city; that's why, when the Derby rolls around, this town drops everything and starts partying! This is our time of year to play host to an array of celebrities (with plenty of D-listers to spare), have a grand parade, showcase our amazing restaurants and breweries and prove to out-of-towners that this is a really cool place to visit!

When I say the city stops, I don't mean there aren't people out (It's quite the opposite, actually). What I mean is, nothing productive gets done. Schools are out, people take 5 day weekends and there are concerts and festivals every night for a week. The one exception are food service employees- we get major overtime!

My least favorite part of the Derby is the obsession with celebrities. Everyday the newspaper lists which celebrities are expected (most of which I have never heard of) and today we even had an article about all the past celebrities to attend. Real groundbreaking journalism. I do not condone celebrity worship by any means, so it's frustrating to me when people get excited about a Real Housewife coming to town and eating at Jack Fry's. Who cares? When it's Willie Nelson, give me a call! However, I must admit that there's also something really fun about watching it all unfold and seeing how excited people get. It's very endearing; like impressing a child with the old detachable thumb trick!


Saying that every Louisvillian loves this time of year would be like saying every college kid loves frat parties. Some of us leave town, some of us attend annual parties and some dive face first into the muddy infield. Jon and I almost always leave town, but this year we will be here for the first time in a few years. And you know what? Despite all of my stubborn morals* and my childish "too-cool-for-the-Derby" attitude, I'm finding myself wanting to participate a little this year. They suckered me in! I'm going to see The Wallflowers for $5 on the waterfront... Really? $5? They were my first concert when I was 13! How can I pass that up? Plus, it's on my birthday! Thank you Derby!


I also want a glorious Derby hat! Actually, every year I want a glorious hat. I don't know why. Even if I were just parading it around the house in my yoga pants and slippers, I would love to have a giant Derby hat. 


I've never had a Mint Julep and I really want to try one, but they really do sound terrible. Bourbon, mint, sugar and ice? Make me one, hold the mint. And the sugar. And the ice. My resistance to this drink has led me instead to create a yummy treat that combines the favors of the Julep into something to be enjoyed with your Woodford, not muddled into it!




Mint Julep Gooey Bars

1 cup pecans
1 cup dates
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 T cocoa powder
1 cup whole, fresh mint leaves**
1/2 t salt
Bourbon for soaking (use the cheap stuff for this)***



1.) Soak the dates in the bourbon for at least 30 minutes 

2.) Pulse pecans in food processor with the cocoa powder until they are coarsely chopped 


3.) Remove dates from bourbon and process with the pecans until it starts to hold together 







4.) Add the mint and process for about 30 seconds



5.) Add the oats and salt and process to combine (it should be sticky) 


6.) Press mixture into a pan lined with wax paper and place in the fridge or freezer at least 30 minutes






7.) Remove from pan and cut into squares 






Store in the fridge or freezer. I like to keep these in the freezer because they're really refreshing when they're cold. They make a great treat because they aren't too sweet and the fresh mint hits the spot on a warm day!

This recipe comes together so quick that I forgot to take pictures of most of the steps, but you really can't go wrong! As long as everything smooches together into the pan, you're good to go!




* I'm opposed to using animals for sport, blatant class division, anything with corporate sponsors and men in pastel suits. 

** You could substitute 1/4 t peppermint extract, but that tastes more christmas-y than derby-y!

*** If you don't want the bourbon, you don't have to soak the dates; but there really isn't a strong bourbon flavor, so don't be scared!












No comments:

Post a Comment